(Click here for Chinese version)

MSc (M. Sc., M. Sci) is known as Master of Science. In mainland China, it is commonly known as a professional title awarded to research graduates of science. In fact, the title “MSc” is widely used and recognized worldwide. For example, in the U.S. and Canada, MSc and MA are both postgraduate degrees. In tradition, MSc is awarded to graduates of Science and Engineering master’s degree programs. Nowadays MSc is also commonly awarded to graduates of Economics, Management, Education, Social Sciences and other master’s degree programs. One of the common PhD admission requirements for most universities is that applicants must possess a master’s degree from a recognized university. Countries like the U.S., Canada and Australia have been the most popular countries of study aboard among mainland students because universities of these countries have provided MSc programs with a variety of program structures. They can be the research postgraduate type, the taught postgraduate type or a mix of both.

The “Global China Studies” taught postgraduate program offered by our school covers a wide range of subject areas such as economics, sociology, humanities and quantitative social analysis. It aims to enable students to build solid quantitative and qualitative research skills. Hence, graduates of this program will be awarded an MSc degree instead of a MA degree which is commonly used for Humanities programs.

HKUST has signed partnership agreement with a number of elite universities to offer and share the resources of quality education. Based on these agreements, the MGCS Consortium universities can recommend to HKUST a certain number of third-year undergraduate students who are qualified to be admitted to MSc GCS. The Admission Committee will then select and admit the best qualified students from the recommended and these students admitted will finish their fourth year of undergraduate program by taking the MSc GCS program at HKUST. Students admitted this way will remain registered in their home universities. Upon completion of the MSc GCS degree requirements, these students are required to submit a certified copy of their bachelor’s degree certificate and an official copy of their transcripts to the MSc GCS Program Office no later than 31 August each year in order to be conferred the MSc degree in Global China Studies at HKUST. This special “3+1” arrangement would enable advanced undergraduates from elite universities to take on the challenge of postgraduate study, and receive both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree normally within 4-4.5 years. It will greatly enhance students’ competitiveness for further studies and career development.

Over 80% of HKUST full-time postgraduate students are employed after graduation whereas a certain number of students have chosen to further their studies after they have completed their studies at HKUST. About 75% of HKUST taught postgraduate students (except MBA students) are hired after graduation and many of the rest have continued their studies or migrated. For non-MBA graduates, about 90% of them are working in the commercial and industrial enterprises. Benefited by the “Employment under the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals”, over 30% of mainland students have stayed in Hong Kong for employment after their graduation from HKUST. For more details of the “Employment under the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals”, please visit the HKSAR Immigration Department website:


Yes, referring to the Immigration Guidelines for Entry to the HKSAR, non-local students of full-time locally-accredited programmes at degree level or above whose study period is not less than one academic year may take up part-time on-campus employment. It is the university rule that non-local students can work no more than 10 hours per week during the regular semesters and no more than 20 hours during the winter and summer term. A student intends to take part-time job during their studies must inform the Program Office and it is the student’s obligation to find out about the application of “No Objection Letter” (NOL) from the Immigration Department before starting any part-time work. For more details, please visit


On-campus accommodation is not provided to students of most HKUST taught postgraduate programs. The Off-Campus Housing Section (OCHS) of the Student Housing & Residential Life Office (SHRLO) provides general assistance for HKUST students who are looking for off-campus accommodation. HKUST’s Mainland Student and Scholar Society (http://msss.ust.hk/forum/index.php) also provides general assistance and frequent updates of accommodation information for students.

The above FAQs are for reference only and should not be taken as any commitments for admission. For further enquiries, please contact us at mgcs@ust.hk.