Program Requirements

MA students must take eight courses (24 credits) and obtain a graduation grade average (GGA) of 2.850 or above as required of all postgraduate students at the University. Of the eight courses, students are required to take two foundation courses (6 credits), four required courses (12 credits), and two elective courses (6 credits).

  1. Foundation Courses


    MASS 5010 Research Methods in Social Science
    MASS 5020 Social Statistics I
  2. Required Courses


    Designed specifically for the MA students, the required MASS courses cover disciplines in sociology, psychology, economics, and political science. Students are required to take courses from one or more of these disciplines. For every semester, the Programs Office will announce a list of courses to be offered by the Division.

    Course List
    MASS 5030 Social Stratification and Mobility
    MASS 5050 Economic Transformations in Post-Mao China
    MASS 5060 Political Changes and Political Participation
    MASS 5180 Migration and Globalization
    MASS 5200 Comparative Politics
    MASS 5210 Economic Development


  3. Elective Courses


    Students can take any postgraduate courses (and a maximum of one undergraduate course at 4000-level) offered by the School of Humanities and Social Science.


Should students wish to take courses other than those specified above, prior approval must be obtained from the Academic Director.


Program Duration

The MA program can normally be completed in 12 months in full-time mode, or 24 months in part-time mode.  Full-time students are required to take a minimum of 9 credits of coursework each regular term, whereas part-time students are required to take a minimum of 3 credits each regular term.  With the approval of the Academic Director, a student may take study leave for no more than one regular term.


Academic Advising

Upon entering the program, students’ progress will be monitored by the Academic Director of the Program.



Students in this program will need to make their own accommodation arrangements during the period of study at HKUST.  The Off-Campus Housing Section (OCHS) of Student Housing and Residential Life (SHRL) Office provides information about off-campus accommodation.  For details, please click here.


Division of Social Science

For details about the Division, please click here.