China Multigenerational Panel Data (CMGPD) 2012 Summer Training Workshop
Institute on the History and Society of Northeast China
School of the Humanities
Shanghai Jiaotong University
July 6, 2012 – July 20, 2012
Subject to revision. Please check back on a regular basis for changes.
- Attendance at all lectures and recitation sections is required. Unexcused absences may be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Completion of all assignments is required.
- Participants must bring their own laptop, and have STATA installed and the CMGPD-LN downloaded at the beginning of class.
- If you already have experience working with a statistical package other than STATA, you may use it instead of STATA. However, we may not be able to provide much assistance if you have difficulties.
- Lectures will be in English. The teaching assistants and I all speak Chinese, however.
Please read the following BEFORE class begins
- CMGPD-Liaoning User Guide, Version 2.04
- CMGPD-Shuancheng User Guide. Version 1.00. Coming soon!
These may be useful for participants who have less prior experience in demography, STATA, and other elements of the class.
- Haupt, Arthur and Thomas T. Kane. 2004. Population Handbook. 5th Edition. Washington: Population Reference Bureau is a straightforward introduction to the basic demographic rates and indices, intended for a non-technical audience.
- STATA learning modules at the UCLA Academic Technology Services site are a valuable resource for anyone who has not yet learned how to work with STATA.
DETAILED SCHEDULE (Links to shared spreadsheet with topics, assignments and readings by day)
- CMGPD-LN at ICPSR
- Institute on the History and Society of Northeast China
- Slides for the 2011 methodological lectures (at SJTU website)
- Slides for the 2011 methodological lectures (at instructor’s website)