A John Simon Guggenheim Fellow (2004), and Changjiang Professor (2006-2009) in sociology, Professor Lee’s publications have received eight best book / best article or equivalent honors from the Canadian, Chinese, Japanese, and US academe.
- One Quarter of Humanity: Malthusian Mythology and Chinese Realities (Harvard University Press, 1999) won the Social Science History Association’s Allan Sharlin Award for Best Book in Social Science History and the Otis Dudley Duncan Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Social Demography from the Population Section of the American Sociological Association.
- Life Under Pressure: Mortality and Living Standards in Europe and Asia, 1700-1900 (MIT Press, 2004) won the Outstanding Book on Asia published in 2003 and 2004 from the Asia and Asian America Section of the American Sociological Association.
- Liaodong yimin de qiren shehui (Banner Society and the Settlement of Eastern Liaoning) (2004) was named a top five 2004 history book by the Chinese Academic Yearbook.
- La population chinoise. Mythes et réalités (Presses de l’Université de Montréal, 2006) was a 2007 Prix Jean-Charles-Falardeau finalist for best French-language book in the Social Sciences from The Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Prudence and Pressure: Reproduction and Human Agency in Europe and Asia, 1700-1900 (MIT Press, 2010) won the best book published in 2009 and 2010 award from the Japanese Population Association.
- The Tsinghua Journal awarded <大数据, 新史实与理论演进—以学籍卡材料的史料价值与研究方法为中心的讨论>(Recent Advances in Big Data, New Historical Facts and Social Theory — A Discussion Based on New Research Using University Student Records)《清华大学学报》(哲学社会科学版) 2014年第五期: 104-113 the 2015 Parkson Best Article Award
- 《无声的革命: 北京大学、苏州大学的 学生社会来源 1949-2002》(Silent Revolution: The Social Origins of Peking University and Soochow University Undergraduates, 1949-2002) won a 2014 third prize (三等奖) for Outstanding Achievement in Philosophy and Social Science from the Jiangsu Academy of Social Science
- 梁 晨 (Chen LIANG), 董浩(Hao DONG), 任韵竹 (Bamboo Y. REN), 李中清 (James Z. Lee).《江山代有才人出，各领风骚数十年：中国精英教育四段论，1865-2014》. 《社会学研究》第三期(May/June): 48-70, won a 2017 third prize (三等奖) for Outstanding Achievement in Philosophy and Social Science. This is the second such recognition in the last five years by the Jiangsu Academy of Lee Campbell Research Group scholarship and our eleventh best book, best article, choice award, or equivalent recognition from a scholarly organization.