I am a PhD student in Division of Social Science at the Hong Kong University in Science and Technology (HKUST). I earned my MPhil in Social Science at HKUST in 2015, and my Bachelor’s degree in History at Lanzhou University in 2013.
My research interests include elite education and social mobility in imperial China, the bureaucracy, the career patterns of Qing civil officials. For this research, I combine the application of quantitative methods to databases constructed from historical materials with more traditional methods in history. I did my MPhil thesis on ethnic intermarriage between Manchu and Han Bannermen in the late Qing period using CMGPD-SC data, and published the results in a lead-authored paper in Demographic Research. As a member of the Lee-Campbell group, I participate in the study of Qing officialdom using the Jinshenlu database and related materials. In addition to research, my role includes management of the data entry, which as of March 2018 had yielded a database with 2.4 million records of Qing civil officials.
Determinants of the Career Trajectories of Qing (1644-1911) Civil Officials: Evidence from the CGED-Qing
This dissertation will focus on the analysis of career patterns and social origins of the whole civil servants during the Qing period, seeking to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the state power structure of the Qing government. It will conduct quantitative analysis to study the career mobility based on a database constructed from a quarterly published list of all civil service officials of around 14,000 records, which called Jinshenlu (缙绅录). Other historical database will also be used via linkage to the CGED-Q in order to provide additional background of the officials. The main body of this dissertation consists of three sections based on different modes of entering the bureaucratic system: one focusing on the Bannermen officials who have hereditary status; one on officials with civil service exam degree featuring the meritocratic characteristic of the system; and the last one is on the other official with purchased titles or degrees, which indicate the role of wealth played in pursuing political power.
Conferences and Presentations
- “新政前后旗人与宗室官员的官职变化初探——以《缙绅录》为材料的分析” (The Analyze of Changes in Positions before and after the Late Qing Reform of Banner and Lineage Officials—-Evidence from the Qing Jinshenlu Database)，中国人民大学清史所缙绅录研究工作坊(Workshop on Qing Jinshenlu Database) Beijing, 14 Jan, 2018.
- “缙绅录量化数据库建设与Stata在分析中的应用” (The Construction of the Qing Jinshenlu Database and The Application of STATA in Analyzing the Database), Invited Guest Lecture at 华中师范大学人文社会科学院大数据与社会史研究 (Course on Big Data for Social History, School of Humanities and Social Science, Central China Normal University) Wuhan, Hubei, Jan 19, 2018.
- “科举与入仕：试析清代进士的科场表现与仕途” (The Imperial Examination and the Entrance of the Bureaucratic System: Analyzing the Relationship Between Exam Performance and Career of Jinshi During the Qing Period), 2017中央研究院明清研究国际学术研讨会 (The Conference of Ming and Qing Studies), Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, 19 Dec, 2017.
- “STATA在缙绅录量化数据库分析中的应用” (The Application of STATA in Analyzing the Qing Jinshenlu Database), Invited Lecture at the 2017清代《缙绅录》研究工作坊 (The Workshop of the Qing Jinshenlu Dataset Studies 2017), 台湾中央研究院人文社会科学研究中心 (Academia Sinica, The Humanities and Social Science Research Center) Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, 17-18 Aug, 2017.
- “缙绅录量化数据库建设与相关研究” (The Construction of the Qing Jinshenlu Database and Related Studies), Invited Guest Lecture at 华中师范大学人文社会科学院大数据与社会史研究 (Course on Big Data for Social History, School of Humanities and Social Science, Central China Normal University) Wuhan, Hubei, May 23, 2017.
- Analyzing the First Appointed Jobs and Positions of Qing Jinshi Degree Holders—Evidence from Jinshenlu and Timinglu Linkage (试析清代进士的入仕与官职——清代缙绅录量化数据库与进士题名录的匹配尝试) 第十四届科举制与科举学国际学术研讨会 (The 14th Meeting on The Civil Service Examination System and Civil Service Exam Studies) 南京科举博物馆, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China, 20 Dec 2016.
- Determinants of Interethnic Marriage in a Northeast Chinese Community in the 19th Century, Annual Meeting of Social Science History Association, Baltimore, USA, 13 Nov, 2015.
- Determinants of Interethnic Marriage in 19th Century China, Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA), San Diego, USA, 2 May, 2015.
Chen Bijia, Cameron Campbell and Hao Dong. 2018. Interethnic marriage in Northeast China, 1866–1913. Demographic Research. 38(34):929-966. https://www.demographicresearch.org/volumes/vol38/34/default.htm
任玉雪 (Yuxue REN), 陈必佳 (Bijia CHEN), 郝小雯 (Xiaowen Hao), 康文林 (Cameron Campbell), 李中清 (James Z. Lee). 2016. 清代缙绅录量化数据库与官僚群体研究 清史研究 (The Qing Jinshenlu Database: A New Source for the Study of Qing Officials) 清史研究 (Qing History Research). 2016年11月第四期:61-77. http://qsyj.iqh.net.cn/CN/article/downloadArticleFile.do?attachType=PDF&id=2266
Graduate student representative, HKUST Committee on Postgraduate Studies, 2016-17.
Teaching Assistant, Social Stratification and Mobility (SSMA 5030), Division of Social Science, HKUST, Spring 2018
CHEN Bijia. Determinants of Interethnic Marriage in Shuangcheng in 19th Century China. MPhil Thesis submitted to the Division of Social Science, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong S.A.R. August, 2015.